Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day #8 - Dappled Light

'Dappled Light' 12 x 16 oil on canvas
Wow, day #8 already! Back to oils, I love the feel of the oil paint under my palette knife, fun delving into acrylics on the last few paintings & I'll probably play them again, but for now I'm back to oil paint. This scene is painted from a photo that I took through my windshield...I was not driving. On the road to Montana de Oro State Beach in San Luis Obispo County, CA, you drive through this spectacular grove of Eucalyptus trees. These groves in the Central Coast are the winter home & mating area for the migrating Monarch butterfly.
I laid in the under paint with a thin turp wash. Over the past days, I have been saving my oil paint scraping & mixing anything leftover on my palette into a lovely gray. This gray was used here to neutralize the limited palette of color that I use. I think it also brings the last 7 days full circle into this painting.
Thank you Leslie Saeta for posting this 30 day challenge, I am having so much fun!
This painting is available for purchase on my Esty site, Susan Ciufo Fine Art

No comments:

Post a Comment